Winter reports due

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2005
      25 February 2005 - The Winter Period for reporting to North American Birds
      will end on February 28th. This period covers the months of December,
      January, and February.

      If you have any bird sightings to report that have not previously been
      reported on Mendobirds please send them to me prior to March
      10th. However any reports received sooner would be appreciated as the
      observation data takes time for me to edit as I compile the winter report
      for North American Birds - Middle Pacific Coast Region editors. You can
      send reports or single observations to me at rjkeiffer@....

      If anyone ventures to the Point Arena area please keep an eye out for "AL"
      the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove for the last eleven
      winters. He/she usually shows up the last week of November/first week of
      December, using the cove as a resting/loafing area until early
      March.... so it would be nice to know the departure date coming up in March.

      Please post any "AL" sightings on Mendobirds as there are numerous
      out of town and out-of-state birders interested in seeing this bird. This
      is probably the only place in North America where one can have a good
      chance of seeing this species while keep your feet on solid ground (not in
      a boat).

      Also, next month keep a sharp eye out for spring migrant arrivals as folks
      are usually interested
      in first date arrivals, inland and coastal, of the migrant species. Please
      pay attention to Mendobirds for the postings
      so that there are not "numerous" arrival dates for a species... for
      example: Tree Swallows have already arrived and
      have been reported so don't post again. Thanks

      For any of you Mendocino County listers spring migrants sometimes pass
      through the county during a very short window
      of time ... an example is Solitary Sandpiper which if you miss in spring
      you have a very slim chance of finding during the fall migration.
      Good birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
        2 March 2007 - The winter bird reporting season has come to an end
        and I will be submitting an edited report of Mendocino County bird
        observations to the regional editors (Northern California) of North
        American Birds soon. If you already posted reports on Mendobirds
        then I already have those. If you have any additional reports, or
        wish to provide a summary report of your sightings, then please send
        them to me via email: rjkeiffer@... or hard copy: Bob
        Keiffer 4070 University Road Hopland CA 95449. I would
        appreciate receiving them by March 10th so that I can meet my
        deadline. Thanks to all who contribute to the bird observations of
        Mendocino County.

        Note to coastal folks ....please try to keep an eye on when "AL", the
        Laysan Albatross at Point Arena Cove, leaves for the year. Last
        year the bird stayed into April ...but usually the bird leaves around
        early to mid-March. Also keep an eye out on offshore seabird colony
        rocks/islands for Brown Booby ... as this species seems to be showing
        up with more regularity along our coast.

        Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        arena." Theodore Roosevelt

      • Richard Kuehn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2007
          Knowing members of our Redwood Coast and inland communities often plan far
          in advance, the Mendocino Coast Audubon Society (MCAS) would like to invite
          you to a Gala Evening at the Gualala Arts Center, Monday, April 30th, when
          the chapter holds their annual dinner meeting on the 'south' coast. If
          you've always wanted to visit southern Africa, but not made it there yet or
          if you'd like to be momentarily transported back, please plan to attend.
          You'll experience southern African Cuisine, prepared by Leslie Bates of
          Savory Coast Catering, accompanied by South African wines and followed by a
          video presentation entitled "Botswana & Namibia: Birds and Other Wildlife"
          edited by Buff Corsi from Santa Rosa. (As always, vegetarian alternatives
          and non-alcoholic beverages will be available.) Dinner will be served at 6
          p.m. and the program will begin at 7:15 p.m. following announcements and a
          _short_ business meeting. The cost for the dinner with program is $25;
          program only is $5. Reservations and dinner selection (vegetarian or
          non-vegetarian) may be arranged by calling Warren Wade, President of MCAS,
          at (707) 964-6362 or me at (707) 785-3415 BEFORE April 21st; payment will be
          at the door. Please NOTE: No-Shows, who do NOT telephone to cancel, will be
          expected to pay for their meal.

          Hope to see you there-Rich

          Richard Kuehn, peripatetic traveler and birdwatcher

          WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

          N 38 44.93 W 123 31.66

          HTTP://ourlives-at-windandsea.info

          Life is NOT a dress-rehearsal!