Re: Lake County Swan

  • jeff hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hello birders,

      Sorry to be so late in posting this, but on Sun.
      2/20 I was birding the Blue Lakes and Tule Lake area,
      and saw the swan (at about 5:00 PM). It was
      definitely a Mute, easily visible fairly close to the
      roadside. Also there that day were 300+ Mallards, 150
      Coots, 50 Am. Wigeon, 15 N. Pintail.

      Nothing at Blue Lakes save two very nice Bald
      Eagles, adults playing tag low over the water.

      At the north end of Tule L. off Hwy 20, same day:
      70 Canvasback, 12 Ring-n Duck (at least) and 30+ Scaup
      and Buffleheads further out.

      At the Nice-Lucerne Cut-off rice fields (Robinson
      L.) were 250+ Am Wigeon, 50+ Green-w Teal (200+ on
      2/18), 40+ N.Shoveler, 4 N. Pintail, 100+ Mallards.
      Also, an adult Bald Eagle seen flying over Rodman
      Slough. Have not seen Eurasian Wigeon there lately,
      my most recent Ross' Goose sighting was 2/17.

      Today (2/24) in the late afternoon I visited the
      Clearlake water treatment ponds: 225+ D-c Cormorants,
      3 Am. White Pelicans, 100 or so each Bufflehead, Am.
      Wigeon and Mallard, a smattering of Ruddies and Scaup.
      Borax Lake had roughly 1100 Scaup, a Gadwall and
      Shovelers. I couldn't detect anything unusual within
      the long string of Scaup on the far side of the lake.

      Good birding,

      --Jeff

      http://mail.yahoo.com