Lake County Swan

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2005
      23 February 2005 - 4:00 PM - A swan (probable Tundra but should be checked out) was reported in Lake County in the flooded fields West of Tule Lake - South of Highway 20.

    • jeff hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2005
        Hello birders,

        Sorry to be so late in posting this, but on Sun.
        2/20 I was birding the Blue Lakes and Tule Lake area,
        and saw the swan (at about 5:00 PM). It was
        definitely a Mute, easily visible fairly close to the
        roadside. Also there that day were 300+ Mallards, 150
        Coots, 50 Am. Wigeon, 15 N. Pintail.

        Nothing at Blue Lakes save two very nice Bald
        Eagles, adults playing tag low over the water.

        At the north end of Tule L. off Hwy 20, same day:
        70 Canvasback, 12 Ring-n Duck (at least) and 30+ Scaup
        and Buffleheads further out.

        At the Nice-Lucerne Cut-off rice fields (Robinson
        L.) were 250+ Am Wigeon, 50+ Green-w Teal (200+ on
        2/18), 40+ N.Shoveler, 4 N. Pintail, 100+ Mallards.
        Also, an adult Bald Eagle seen flying over Rodman
        Slough. Have not seen Eurasian Wigeon there lately,
        my most recent Ross' Goose sighting was 2/17.

        Today (2/24) in the late afternoon I visited the
        Clearlake water treatment ponds: 225+ D-c Cormorants,
        3 Am. White Pelicans, 100 or so each Bufflehead, Am.
        Wigeon and Mallard, a smattering of Ruddies and Scaup.
        Borax Lake had roughly 1100 Scaup, a Gadwall and
        Shovelers. I couldn't detect anything unusual within
        the long string of Scaup on the far side of the lake.

        Good birding,

        --Jeff

        http://mail.yahoo.com