Fw: Long Billed Hawk Syndrome

  • Ortiz Family
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2005
      Just got this message from one of my fellow board members of the California
      Council for Wildlife Rehabilitators. Thought it may be of interest to other
      birders in our area. Something to look for and report if seen in Mendocino
      County.
      Cathy Ortiz
      _________________________________

      Hi All,
      I just returned from a wonderful trip to northern Washington State
      where a group of like raptor fanatics met with Bud Anderson of the
      Falcon Research Group. Bud was our guide for a day of the raptors
      of Skagit Flats. We had a chance to study all the different age
      plumages of Bald Eagles and were introduced to the new age/sex
      plumages of Rough-legged hawks. Bud is a wonderful raptor
      biologist/ researcher and he has been studying raptors,
      specifically falcons for 28-30 years in the San Juan Islands.

      Do you think we can get this out as an action alert to the
      California Council for Wildlife Rehabilitator members? I think it
      is important for rehabilitators to know about this and to take a
      closer look at the birds that come into rehab, not just the
      raptors. Bud had a third year red-tailed hawk in his truck that
      he showed my group and it is something you can see in the field as
      well as in the hand.

      Thanks,

      Karen

      Bud Anderson of the Falcon Research Group in northern Washington,
      has been looking at what he calls Long-billed hawk syndrome. What
      he thought were isolated cases of the bills of hawks growing
      abnormally, has turned into possibly the start of something new to
      be aware of for all raptor lovers.

      Please check out his website at:

      http://www.frg.org/frg/

      Bud has documented over 60 cases, mainly in Red-tailed hawks, but
      also in other buteos, mostly in the Mt. Vernon/Seattle area. He
      thinks that this syndrome is more wide spread than in just his
      area. Louise Shimmel had a case in Eugene, Oregon, and one was
      reported in the San Jose, California area last December. It has
      appeared in Chickadees in Alaska and I understand a Steller's Jay
      in Oakland, CA. If you have seen beak abnormalities, please get in
      touch with Bud at bud@... and let him know what you are seeing
      in your area, if you have pictures and measurements, please send
      them on to him. It might be isolated to the West Coast, but it
      might just be the start of something new. Blood work and x-rays of
      the abnormal bills have been taken and it is still unknown as to
      what the cause may be.

      Thank for your help.