Full article on Birds of Borneo Benefit

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2005
      "Birds of Borneo" Returns as a Benefit
      A Journey to Another World

      Special to the Journal by Kate Marianchild
      Matthew Matthiessen's "Birds of Borneo" slide presentation, hosted by Peregrine Audubon Society in January, was stunning. It was so good that Peregrine has asked Mr. Matthiessen to do it again, this time as a benefit. Please join us on FRIDAY, March 4 for a journey to lush jungles and the astonishing wildlife within them. It would be wise to get there early because the January show had standing room only. Peregrine is asking for a donation of $5-10 at the door. Children under 12 will be admitted free, and no one will be turned away. The event will be held at the Grace Hudson Museum, 431 S. Main St., Ukiah, at 7 p.m.

      The birds were dazzling. Oohs and aahs erupted frequently from the audience of 85 people as bird after exotic bird flashed on the screen. Many came in beautiful colors and extraordinary shapes. Quite a few were endemic to Borneo - birds that live nowhere else on earth.

      Matthiessen also tantalized us with glimpses of flying lizards, pygmy squirrels, maroon langurs, pig-tailed macaques, orangutans, piggyback-riding spiders, the largest flower on earth, and other Borneo specialties. For a short time we luxuriated in the rich, liquid sounds of the jungle, and, to top it off, we were treated to a photo essay on a Bornean cottage industry. Matthiessen visited the caves where families harvest the nests of birds known as Swifts. Their nests, made of ...guess what?..., are the main ingredient in bird nest soup.

      The excitement after the presentation lasted for days. One person exclaimed he could easily see it two more times! Another marvelled at the exciting variety of wildlife. As for me, I left feeling expanded and happy - filled with light, color, and the sounds of the jungle.

      The proceeds of the slideshow will benefit Ukiah's Peregrine Audubon Society. Peregrine's contributions to our community include educational programs to acquaint children with wildlife and ecology; support for the Redwood Valley Outdoor Education Project; free field trips and speaker programs; and Peregrine's conservation wing, Mendocino Tomorrow. Mendocino Tomorrow is currently in the midst of a collaborative effort to protect our birds, wildlife, and their natural habitats for future generations.

      Please set aside the evening of March 4 for a journey to another world!

      Submitted by Kate Marianchild
      Publicity Chair
      Peregrine Audubon Society
      For contributions, correspondence, or membership (with subscription to Falcon Flyer @ $15/year) write to:
      Peregrine Audubon Society P.O. Box 311 Ukiah, CA 95482
      For more information go to www.peregrineaudubon.org