Hooded Oriole in Potter Valley?

  • Matt Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2001
      While doing some low-intensity birding this past weekend we were
      crossing Potter Valley from East to West and very briefly saw what to
      all appearances was a HOODED ORIOLE which took off from a fence wire and
      flew away down a vineyard row. Kris Carter's Mendocino County Guide
      lists HOODED ORIOLE as an Extremely Rare County Bird with some nesting
      records. Would a HOODED ORIOLEW sighting in Potter Valley be consistent
      with other Mendo Bids sightings?

      Earlier in the afternoon we saw two different broods of Mountain Quail
      in two minutes as we returned to Potter Valley from Lake Pillsbury on
      Eel River Road. Three adults and just under 20 chicks was quite a sight!

      Matt Williams
      Davis, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2001
        Thu, 21 Jun 2001 -- Yesterday I did a search along Gibson Lane in Potter
        Valley where Matt Williams reported a Hooded Oriole last weekend. I found a
        first-summer male HOODED ORIOLE in some Eucalyptus trees at 9425 Gibson
        Lane between Hawn Creek Road and Powerhouse Road - the same place where I
        had seen and heard a suspicious oriole while I was jogging on June 11, and
        about 0.3 mi. from the vineyard where Matt saw one on 17 June. The bird was
        completely yellow underneath with a black throat, decurved bill, and long
        tail. He ranged to some poplar trees to the west and far into the pear
        orchard to the north. There were also Bullock's Orioles in the same
        Eucalyptus trees and several adults feeding dependent juveniles along this
        stretch of Gibson Lane. Today I went back but did not find a HOOR.
        The presence of a Hooded Oriole in this area over a period of a
        week in mid June suggests that there may be nesting nearby. All of the
        other Hooded Orioles that I have seen in Mendocino Co. have been associated
        with palm trees (Stewart St, Fort Bragg; Colonial Inn, Fort Bragg; Pomo
        Drive, Ukiah; East Road, Talmage). There are no palm trees nearby on Gibson
        Lane and only one small one that I know of in Potter Valley at the corner
        of Main Street and West Road about 1.5 mi away. -- George Chaniot