Ross' Goose, Lake Co.

  • jeff hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2005
      Hello Birders,

      At approx. 2:00 PM Wed 2/16 I went to the flooded
      rice fields by the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff (Robinson Lk.)
      to scan the waterfowl. 30 Canadas were there, but no
      Cackling. Two more Canadas flew in, with a smaller
      white goose that turned out to be a Ross'Goose.

      Also present were N. Shoveler (30+), Gadwall (20+),
      Am. Wigeon (100+), numerous Mallards, plus a few N.
      Pintail and Green-w.Teal. Today (Thu. 2/17) I went
      there shortly before dusk (5:30), no geese present.
      I think they go to roost in the Tule Lake area and use
      the rice fields as their feeding/loafing grounds.

      A pair each of White-t Kites, Red-sh Hawks and Am
      Kestrels have been present here most times since Jan.
      Also look through the sparrows in the foreground,
      Lincoln's sometimes pops up. More rain in the
      forecast could bring another push of waterfowl...

      Good birding,

      -- Jeff

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail