Bald Eagle

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2005
      15 February 2005 - 8:00 AM - One adult Bald Eagle was observed flying up
      the canyon along University Road east of Hopland. When I first spotted
      the bird it was flying alongside my vehicle about 200 feet away ... quite
      magnificent at such a close distance! Good birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 2005
        Wednesday - June 22, 2005 - Early this morning Scott Whitney, a PG&E
        linesman, watched an adult bald eagle perched in a tree on the east side of
        Lake Mendocino. It was near the artificial nesting platform but no
        activity was evidence of nesting on the platform.... perhaps this is just a
        visiting Lake County bird.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2007
          9 Nov 2007 - One adult Bald Eagle was seen flying upstream along the
          Russian River 1.6 miles north of the Sonoma/Mendocino County line
          along Highway 101 at about 10:00 am. Good birding! Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
            20 June 2008, Friday, 3:00 PM, a mature Bald Eagle was seen perched
            in a tree overhanging the Russian River along the 101 Highway between
            Squaw Rock and Commisky Creek. It's wings were kind-of spread as if
            to say, "Dang it's hot out here" (over 100 F. degrees today). This
            is just north of the MEN/SON line by a few miles. Another birder
            has reported to me seeing mature Bald Eagles (two, then one) between
            Hopland and Cloverdale within the last few weeks. I suspect that we
            have a nest somewhere nearby ....but nobody has reported one
            yet. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            4070 University Road
            Hopland, CA 95449
            (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

            arena." Theodore Roosevelt

          • Bruce
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
              Thurs. 11 Feb. 2010. There was an adult Bald Eagle that came to feed on a deer carcass in Willits today. It made it's appearance about 1:20pm along with a mob of Ravins and 8-12 T.Vs. The carcass was fresh this AM so I would expect them to be hangin around for the next couple of days. One can likely catch a look 2-300yrds north of (across a flooded field) from the "Skate Park" on East Commercial St. approx. 1 mile east of Hwy-101, past the movie theater and the Public Library. the immediate location of the dead deer is on private City owned property but one can park in the parking lot at the new Ball Fields near the skate park and walk north through the gate along the Rail Road tracks (Roots of Motive Power). There were also 9 Cinnamon Teal, several Bufflehead, Ring-Necked Ducks, Wood Ducks and two Hooded Merganser Males in the flooded field between the skate park and the tree line the Eagle came to rest in.
              Bruce G. L-ville/Dos Rios
            • kimballtoni
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2011
                June 1, 2011, 2pm
                Albion River Inn. One bald eagle, east side of Hwy 1, headed south.
              • Janet Heppler
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 9, 2014
                  Yesterday I spotted an Adult Bald Eagle on Hwy 162 mile post 9.85 approx. 9:30am along the Eel River, This is near the 8 mile bridge where outlet creek joins the Eel . There are fish at the bridge right now. On the return trip back to Covelo, I spotted an adult Bald Eagle at mile post 12.40, on Hwy 162 at approx. 3:30 pm.
                  Janet Heppler
                  Covelo
                • Arthur Morley
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 12, 2014
                    There was an adult Bald Eagle at Lake Cleone today at about 12:00.

                    Art Morley
                  • Kitty & Creek Norris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 12, 2014
                      Saw a bald eagle at Blue Lakes today. May have been two, but we were driving on 20 and concentrated on the one flying ahead of the car. Lovely!
                      Kitty & Creek