Hull Mt. Area, June 16

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2001
      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 -- Chuck Vaughn, Matthew Matthiessen, and I birded today
      along Forest Service road M1 in the higher parts of Lake and Mendocino
      Counties. We went up Boardman Ridge, to the summit of Hull Mountain, to
      Spruce Grove, to the summit of Bald Mountain, and back along the same
      route. We found most all of the montaine specialties, except Flammulated
      Owl. Of particular interest were a SAGE SPARROW at 5675' in Lake County, at
      least three singing BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS at the LAK/MEN line in the scrub
      oak and manzanita on the steep west-facing slope, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES
      singing strongly at several locations, CASSIN'S FINCHES at Windy Gap and
      Bald Mountain, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES feeding young at a nest, HAMMOND'S and
      DUSKY FLYCATCHERS at Spruce Grove, especially in the conifers on the far
      side of the corn-lily meadow at the spring, WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS in an
      old logged area beyond Spruce Grove, many singing FOX SPARROWS, all of the
      _brevicauda_ type, an unexpected ROCK WREN on the summit of Bald Mountain,
      three PURPLE MARTINS near Red Rock, GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES, NASHVILLE and
      HERMIT WARBLERS. -- George Chaniot