"AL" Laysan Albatross

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2005
      11 February 2005 - First of all ...sorry for some of the personal
      communication via Mendobirds (I had missed that the communication came to
      me via Mendobirds).
      And, for those of you interested and who have followed the "AL" notes, it
      appears as though the bird was first discovered on Nov 30, 1994 by a
      visiting birder ...possibly M.Martin. The bird was then "discovered
      again" by Jim Booker and Todd Easterla, without them knowing that it had
      been seen the day before. I also had another San Francisco birder report
      to me that he saw and photographed "AL" on March 24, 2002, thus extending
      the "departure" date for that season.

      >Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last reported
      >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
      >
      >30 Nov 1994 to 18 March 1995
      >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
      >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
      >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
      >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
      >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
      >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
      >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
      >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
      >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
      >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
      >28 Nov 2004 to present Feb 2005

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
        25 November 2008 - Several observers reported the arrival of "AL" the
        assumed same Laysan Albatross that has been returning to the Point
        Arena Cove for the last 16 consecutive winter periods (or more). The
        bird returned at approximately 10:00 AM on November 22nd (thanks Tom
        for the sharp lookout). Ironically, I just returned from Kauai
        where the re-arrival of Laysan Albatross for the nesting season
        occurred during the week of November 10 - 15th November... about the
        same time that the Humpback Whales return to Kauai waters. I don't
        even try to guess if there is any correlation. To update your
        curiosity, below is a chronological list of arrival and departure dates.

        For those of you for whom this information is new, the bird uses the
        Point Arena Cove as a resting/loafing area during normal
        seas. During very rough, intense storms the bird tends to
        disappear. I always tell folks that they have about a 50% chance of
        seeing the bird from the Point Arena dock on any one day during the
        winter period ....but one might have to keep checking every couple
        hours as you never know when the bird might arrive or depart. If you
        are travelling from out of the area specifically for this bird ...you
        might plan on being in the area for at least a couple days to
        increase your chances. And ...if the bird is sleeping with his head
        tucked under the wing it can be missed if it is not near any other
        birds or objects for size reference ( I have seen people mistake is
        for a Western Gull). Ask the surfers ....they usually know and look
        after the bird's welfare.

        Here is a revised list of first reported arrival dates and last reported
        >season's dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:
        > ???? to? 28 Feb 1994 (T.Easterla & J.Booker)
        >30 Nov 1994 to 27 March 1995 (report of two birds in synchronized
        >courtship? flight during the end of this period)
        >5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
        >3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
        >27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
        >12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
        >4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
        >2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
        >26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
        >28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002
        >21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
        >25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
        >28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005
        26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006
        25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007
        7 Dec 2007 to 5 Mar 2008
        22 Nov 2008 to "time will tell"

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        arena." Theodore Roosevelt

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2009
          23 March 2009 - Monday - I have received word that "AL" the Point
          Arena Cove wintering Laysan Albatross was at the cove... and has been
          for several days of the last week. The bird will assuredly be
          leaving soon for until, hopefully, next winter. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer