"AL" continued

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
      Thanks to Bob Keiffer for publishing the information on the famous Laysan Albatross. The details for this bird have needed to be clarified for a very long time.

      Bob's information is correct concerning the date I first saw Al. It was on Friday December 2nd of 1994. I heard on the Rare Bird Alert tape the day before that there was a Laysan Albatross seen at Pt. Arena Cove. Not believing that report a bit I went over anyway and to my surprise found the bird sitting on the water. On that day I called in a report to the Rare Bird Alert and also notified the local birders.

      I do believe? however that the person who called in the report was actually an out of state birder who was staying in Pt. Arena.I do not have his name in my notes.For many years I thought this unknown person was who first discovered the bird. It did seem clear on the tape that he had no prior knowledge of this bird when he found it.

      It was sometime later that I heard rumors that Todd and Jim had actually seen the bird in the same location (the year before?) and had also put it on the RBA tape. No one at that time picked up on that information apparently.

      It would be good if we could hear from Todd or Jim concerning the first date they found the bird so we can complete AL's history.

      Over the years while looking for or watching this bird I have met maybe 100 different people, local and from all over the country.For most of these birders AL was there life Laysan Albatross. Jerry White

    • Jeff Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
        Mention of "Al" in the journal Field Notes first appeared in the summer 1995
        issue (vol. 49, p. 192):

        "A hint that Laysan Albatrosses may be prospecting California for nesting
        sites was the individual that regularly flew in to spend long periods of
        time in Pt. Arena Cove, Mendocino, Nov. 30-Mar. 5 [1994-1995] (M. Martin,
        m.ob.); a local boat skipper reported that it had been present since July!"

        Perhaps M. Martin is the out-of-state birder Jerry was thinking of.

        Jeff Davis
        Prather, CA

[...]

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor