"AL" Laysan Albatross History

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
      10 February 2005 - I was asked about the history of "AL", the Laysan
      Albatross that has been using Point Arena Cove for the last 11 winters, and
      thought that other Mendocino birders might be interested. As far as I
      know, the bird was first reported on the Northern California Rare Bird
      Alert by Todd Easterla and Jim Booker on 1 Dec. 1994 and confirmed by Jerry
      White on 2 Dec. 1994. It is unknown if the bird used the cove in prior
      years, as there were not many birders checking our coast back then.

      Here is a list of first reported arrival dates and last reported season's
      dates (assumed near departure) for the subsequent years:

      1 Dec 1994 to 18 March 1995
      5 Dec 1995 to 14 March 1996
      3 Dec 1996 to 26 March 1997
      27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998
      12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999
      4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a "fly by the cove" on 2 April
      2000 as observed by George Chaniot (possible same bird?)
      26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001
      28 Nov 2001 to 11 Mar 2002
      21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003
      25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004
      28 Nov 2004 to present Feb 2005

      If anyone knows of any corrections to these dates please let me
      know. This bird, at Point Arena cove, is probably the only Laysan
      Albatross in North America that a birder can have a good chance of seeing
      from shore ... an it has brought many, many birders to Point Arena over the
      years from around the country. It would be difficult to estimate the
      dollar revenue that has been brought to our county because of "AL"... but
      it is surely in the thousands of dollars. Good birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
        Unfortunately Al was apparently enjoying Christmas
        dinner elsewhere when I dragged my family out there on
        Christmas afternoon. A long but lovely drive. Are
        there any data or guesstimates on the probability of
        Al being there on any given visit?

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake Co.
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
          Floyd, Over the years I have experienced and told people that they have
          about a 50/50 chance on any particular day .... and you never know what
          time of day it will arrive or leave. So if you head over there plan on
          staying the day and checking back at the cove every couple of hours
          throughout the day. Good luck.

          At 05:51 PM 2/10/2005, Floyd Hayes wrote:

          >Unfortunately Al was apparently enjoying Christmas
          >dinner elsewhere when I dragged my family out there on
          >Christmas afternoon. A long but lovely drive. Are
          >there any data or guesstimates on the probability of
          >Al being there on any given visit?
          >
          >Floyd Hayes
          >Hidden Valley Lake, Lake Co.

          >Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
          >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
          >Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to
          >these addresses:
          >Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
          >Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
            I have only seen in once in about 5 tries.....

            John Sterling
            VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

            26 Palm Ave
            Woodland, CA 95695