Barred Owls

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
      Thursday - 3 February, 2005 - 6:40 PM - Jerry White and I ventured to
      Montgomery Woods S.P. which is about 14 miles west from Ukiah on the Orr
      Springs Road (just past the Orr Springs Resort) in hopes of hearing the
      Barred Owls that have resided there for the last couple of years. Both
      Jerry and I had unsuccessful attempts during the last month. This time
      we were successful, hearing two Barred Owls calling back and forth from
      high in the treetops in a southerly direction from the Kelly/Owens grove
      ...which is on the SW end of the main walk loop. This is consistent with
      their location from prior years. No other owl species were heard despite
      an ideal night for hearing sounds in the distance (no wind/no water
      noise). Over the years I have personally heard six species of owls here
      ... Barn Owl, Spotted Owl (no seemly displaced by the Barred Owl), Barred
      Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Northern Pygmy Owl, and Western Screech Owl. Good
      Birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center