Continuing Lawrence's Goldfinches

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2005
      Greetings Mendobirders- This morning I saw at least 12 (6m, 6f) Lawrence's
      Goldfinches at HREC. They were in a mixed group of several hundred
      Carduelis finches, primarily Lessers, but including about 10% Pine Siskins
      and the LAGOs, that were feeding in chamise at about 2800'. The birds were
      swirling over the chaparral and then disappearing into the chamise crowns,
      so it was difficult to get a good count. At 8 am it was already 60 degrees
      up there and it was a spring-like inversion. All the brush birds were
      singing- Sage Sparrows, Cal Thrashers, Bewick's Wrens, and Mountain Quail
      were "quarking" everywhere. Spring can't be too far away.

      Chuck