Chipping Sparrows

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2005
      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 -- Thursday afternoon I was birding the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant at closing time about 4 PM. Walking along the fence on the
      south side of the sludge pond, I found a few CHIPPING SPARROWS moving from
      the orchard on the south into the trees along the fence and then across the
      pond toward the office buildings. I followed them there and found at least
      26 birds sitting in the bare trees in the garden area by the buildings. It
      was overcast and darkening, and they appeared to be settling into the
      garden trees for the night. I have never seen a winter concentration of
      Chipping Sparrows in this area, and I note that only one individual was
      seen in the first 18 years of Ukiah Christmas Bird Counts.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
        Yesterday I recorded 40 Chipping Sparrows at the Ukiah WWTP early in the am. They are here again this morning, I counted 40 individual birds feeding together. Steve