SE Clear Lake, 01-15

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2005
      This morning I explored (my first time) the southeast
      corner of Clear Lake, from Clearlake to Sulphur Blank
      Point. Waterbird concentrations were highest from
      Pirates Cove northward. Here are my highlights:

      HORNED GREBE: 3 at Clearlake (1) and Pirate's Cove
      (2).
      LESSER SCAUP: 2 at Clearlake.
      GREATER SCAUP: 1 at Clearlake.
      NORTHERN PINTAIL: 2 (pair) among rafts of grebes far
      from shore at Pirate's Cove, seemed out of place.
      MEW GULL: 1 (1st-basic immature) at Clearlake.
      BONAPARTE'S GULL: 1 (basic adult) at Clearlake.
      THAYER'S GULL: 2 (3rd-basic immature, basic adult) at
      Crestview.
      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: 7 (3 1st-basic, 2 2nd-basic and
      2 3rd-basic immatures) from Edgewater Estates to
      Crestview.

      Many Western and Clark's Grebes were courting but I
      saw only one pair actually run across the water.

      At nearby Borax Lake (east shore accessed by foot from
      end of 12th Street) I saw:

      LESSER SCAUP: about 565.
      GREATER SCAUP: about 10 males, probably some females
      too.
      GADWALL: about 40.
      GREEN-WINGED TEAL (American): 4.
      AMERICAN WIGEON: 2.