help with identification

  • lalalois
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2005
      I would love some feedback on identification of this hawk. It seemed
      to have
      feathered legs , so i am not sure if it is a red tailed hawk. It doesn't
      seem to match the images in my books. I am in little river on the
      north side of the park above the visitors center. I posted two
      pictures in the photo area.
      Thanks lois lalalois@...
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2005
        It's a light phase red-tailed hawk. Note the rather dark head and the row of
        streaks across the lower breast forming a distinct band.

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        ron@...
        707/839-0900
        Cell 707/496-3326
        Fax 839-0867
        www.madriverbio.com
        Mad River Biologists
        1497 Central Avenue
        McKinleyville, CA 95519

        I would love some feedback on identification of this hawk. It seemed
        to have
        feathered legs , so i am not sure if it is a red tailed hawk. It doesn't
        seem to match the images in my books. I am in little river on the
        north side of the park above the visitors center. I posted two
        pictures in the photo area.
        Thanks lois lalalois@...

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links