Lake Mendocino/Tufted Duck

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2005
      Wednesday - 12 January 2005 - This afternoon George Chaniot & I birded Lake Mendocino. The first scoping of scaup from Pomo A/B resulted in numerous Greater and Lesser Scaup, maybe 20 Ring-necked ducks, 4 American Wigeon, numerous Ruddy Ducks, and the 2 continuing White-winged Scoters. There were maybe 4 horned grebes, several eared grebes, at least 2 Clark's Grebes, and 40 - 50 Western Grebes.
      In the distance two Golden Eagles could be seen soaring over the eastern horizon.

      We could see part of the scaup flock on the east side of the Lake so we ventured to the Blu-Shay campground to overlook the cove of ....no scaup. they had all left and gone to the west side of the Lake. While there, however, we saw a Red-breasted Sapsucker, heard a Nuttall's Woodpecker, and saw a Hutton's vireo.

      We returned to the Pomo A site where the scaup flock had gathered almost in totality ... probably 3000 to 4000 birds in all. With diligent scoping, looking for the contrasting bright white side with the black (not gray) scapulars and back, George soon spotted the male Tufted Duck. A few Cedar Waxwings were nearby and the robins were beginning to arrive for roost at 4:00 PM when we left.

      George also had a Rock Wren on the dam near the pump tower. Good birding. Bob Keiffer