Sage Thrasher

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2001
      This morning about 8:30 AM in Mendocino County I found a Sage Thrasher(Mendo #350) on the walking path to Glass Beach. The bird landed on the chain link fence at about the point where a second trail veers off the main trail (Y intersection). It stayed briefly on the fence then flew north over the trail to the extensive willow patch; landed on the top and again stayed briefly and then disappeared. I searched for about 40 minutes more in the immediate and surrounding area with no success.
      Toby Tobkin tried again around 11:00 AM but could not locate the bird.

      I believe this is the 4th county record and possibly the 1st spring record.

      Take Elm Street west at the north end of Ft. Bragg to the parking area for Glass Beach.

      Jerry White

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
        Fri, 03 Jun 2005 -- This morning I found a singing SAGE THRASHER in Round
        Valley. I first found it about 10:20; I returned at 12:50, and it was
        singing in the exact same place; Chuck Vaughn dashed up, and at 2:30 we saw
        the bird at the same spot.
        The location is on Dobie Lane 1.3 miles N of Fairbanks Road. You
        must approach from Fairbanks as Dobie Lane is washed out further north.
        Look for a fallen oak tree in a hayfield about 100 feet east of the road.
        On the west side of the road here there is a shrubby, 8 foot valley oak in
        the fenceline. The thrasher is very faithful to this bushy oak and probably
        spent 90% of its time in and near it. It sang from the oak, the fence, the
        fallen oak, and at mid level in larger oaks to the east and south. Always
        it returned to the bushy oak. It also foraged on the ground along the edge
        of the road and hawked insects from the ground and from the pavement in the
        middle of the road. It was rather conspicuous.
        My main purpose in being in Round Valley was to look for Tricolored
        Blackbirds. In the process I noted that about 20% of the Red-winged
        Blackbirds there have broad, yellow, lower borders to the epaulettes, about
        20% have a thin yellow border, and about 60% have no yellow at all visable
        in the field. I do not remember seeing yellow borders on summer males in
        Potter Valley - I should pay more attention.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA