Mendo birds

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2001
      Birders,

      Had a great couple of days in Mendocino.

      On 6-6-01 I saw the American Redstart (a singing orangestart) that Toby found
      in the morning at Lake Cleone. Toby has been such a great help. The bird
      was singing alot and was out the La Laguna trail boardwalk just past the
      creek crossing. At 8:55 pm I had a single Common Nighhhawk calling and
      booming 2.8 miles up Albion Ridge Road in the pygmy forest. I think they are
      more or less regular up there. Toby reported 3 up there a few days back.

      On 7-7-01 at 0700 I saw a single Tufted Puffin in the water off Goat Rock at
      Mendocino Headlands (that bird only took about 10 visits...). Later, I had
      the 2 American Avocets at Ukiah Sewage Ponds; no sign of the nest they had a
      few days ago. Then, at Hopland Research Station, Chuck Vaughn showed me a
      couple of Lawrence's Goldfinch for my 5th county bird in just a few hours of
      birding! I don't think that will happen again soon. Not bad considering I
      got my 8+ hours of work in on both days.

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA
    • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2006
        Mendobirders,

        There were 47 breeding plumage Red-necked Phalaropes in the pond on Mendocino Headlands on 5-4-06. There were also two Long-tailed Weasels hunting in broad daylight in the field next to the parking area at the pond. They paid no attention to me except when I squeaked like a mouse which made them come as close as about 15'. That was the best study of these interesting little critters I've ever had.

        On 5-5-06 there was a singing male Hooded Oriole in the town of Westpost. There were numerous Red-necked Phalarope on the Westport Sewage Ponds, but I could not get a good enough view to count them.

        John E. Hunter
        Arcata , CA