North Coast

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2005
      Highlights for a couple days of birding the Mendocino Coast were as follows;

      January 8th: Heavy downpours at times with generally windy conditions.
      The four Cackling Geese first found by Bob Keiffer were a Lake Cleone.
      A two hour sea watch at Laguna Point produced several interesting birds.
      One Rock Sandpiper.
      A fly by Merlin.
      A good close look at the only shearwater that was near enough to shore to ID turned out to be a Short-tailed Shearwater.
      There was one Heerman's Gull that flew by (I saw about 8 total for the two days).
      Large #'s of Northern Fulmars were seen.
      One adult Black-legged Kittiwake.
      And two fly by Ancient Murrlets.
      An Osprey was at the Pudding Creek estuary.
      At the end of Ward Avenue the Black Scoters were in one large group concentrated near shore in relatively calm waters because of the rough conditions. I counted 20 birds. There was also a Red-necked Grebe here.

      In the afternoon Ten Mile River at the beach there were 2 to 3 thousand gulls (mentioned in a previous post). Most of these were California and Herring Gulls.There were also lesser numbers of Western and Glaucous-winged. There were some Mew and Thayer's Gulls and 4 or 5 Heermann's Gulls . As always there were various hybrids. I studied two particular birds that both had very long wings and very thin longish bills. One was an immature bird. The other bird had a fairly dark mantle and seemed to show some of the characteristics of a Vega Herring Gull.

      At about 4:45 PM I went out to Bald Hill Road and viewed the staked out Burrowing Owl.

      On Sunday January 9th the morning started out with rain but the day turned out quite nice with little wind and mild temps.
      From Juan Creek I saw thousands of birds streaming south past Cape Mendocino; mostly gulls but also one huge flock of ducks as well as other species. To far out to get any ID's on these.
      At Laguna Point I met up with Toby Tobkin, Chuck Vaughn, George Chaniot and Matthew Mathiessen. There were 3 Rock Sandpipers on this day.
      Having heard about the Glaucous Gull seen the morning before I went back out to Ten Mile and fairly quickly found the 1st winter Glaucous Gull.
      A stop at Virgin Creek beach turned up 2 Northern Pintail and a Tricolored Blackbird.
      At Van Damme State Park the upper campground is closed but from the visitor center I saw a single Gray Jay on top of a conifer on the ridge to the south.
      The next stop was the end of Albion Ridge road where Bob Keiffer had reported Red Crossbill. Just as I was about to leave after about 15 minutes of no luck I heard and then saw a flock of crossbills in flight. There calls were alarm calls as a Sharp-shinned Hawk had flown into the area.
      On the drive back there was a pygmy owl about 1.5 miles up the Ukiah-Boonville Road and further on 2 soaring Golden Eagles. Jerry White

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2007
        A Brant and a Common Goldeneye were below and west of the Ten
        Mile bridge this morning. In our yard at Ocean Meadows, the California
        Towhee, Harris's Sparrow and (yesterday) the White-throated Sparrow
        still come to the seed at the north side of the property.

        Hope springs eternal, but to no avail. I actually looked twice for the
        reported frigatebird. Late yesterday afternoon, I went to Mendocino
        Headlands, Todd Point and searched the entrance to Noyo harbor,
        plus Ward Ave, etc. This morning, I repeated everywhere but Mendocino
        Headlands. The visibility today is quite good, even though it is overcast.
        The rain has not come in yet.

        Karen Havlena
        North of Fort Bragg, CA