Coastal Report - Jan 9

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2005
      Sun Jan 9, 2005 - Yesterday George Chaniot, Chuck Vaughn, and I birded
      the north coast. Though it was raining rather hard in Ukiah when we
      left the sun was actually shining by the time we got to McKerricher.
      At Laguna Point were three ROCK SANDPIPERS on the loafing rocks to the
      north of the observation platform. From the parking lot we found one
      adult RING-BILLED GULL among the large assortment of gulls on the beach.
      At Lake Cleone were three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and four CACKLING
      GEESE.

      The BURROWING OWL was standing post at the edge of it's burrow on Bald
      Hill Rd. Where Pudding Creek empties into the ocean we found a single
      very early (or late) BARN SWALLOW. Jerry White was kind enough to call
      us and let us know at Ten Mile Beach he refound the GLAUCOUS GULL
      reported Sat by the MCAS field trip. We rushed to Ten Mile and after
      much difficulty were able to locate the first winter GLGU among the
      several thousand gulls on the beach at the point. From Ten Mile we
      drove to Caspar Pond where the lone ROSS'S GOOSE is still present. At
      Van Damme State Park a single GRAY JAY was in the top of a tree directly
      south of the visitors center.

      After returning to Ukiah George and I drove up to Lake Mendocino to try
      for the Tufted Duck. The lake was covered with scaup but after 45
      minutes of scoping from Pomo A we found the male TUFTED DUCK at 16:45
      out near the center of the lake. His crest has definitely grown since
      his arrival in Dec and now looks like a normal male TUDU pony-tail.

      The flight of robins at the north end of Lake Mendocino was quite
      impressive yesterday evening. We didn't make a count but the total
      number was n minus 1 because, while we were scoping, a MERLIN grabbed
      one of the robins for dinner. We were afforded great views as the
      Merlin flew across the lake clutching the dead robin in it's talons.

      Good Birding.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA