Several Updates

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 -- I checked the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant briefly today
      about 11:00 AM. The pair of AMERICAN AVOCETS is still present. I could find
      no nest, but the water level was higher that a week ago, and the smartweed
      is growing exponentially. Water level seems to be fluctuating a lot. The
      avocets are still acting domestic: objecting loudly to my presence, chasing
      a Red-shouldered Hawk over the horizon, and copulating. There certainly
      good production of young Mallards this year and several broods of downy
      American Coots on the north pond and the sludge pond.
      The pair of AMERICAN DIPPERS are now feeding their second brood
      under the old bridge on Potter Valley Road. And at the end of Burris Lane
      in Potter Valley, although I could never see one, I'm quite sure that I
      heard a LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH singing in the oaks: lots of mimicry and
      peculiar tinkling notes like small bells.