Coast birds

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      Sunday - January 2, 2005 - "AL" the laysan Albatross was at the Point Arena Cove again arriving at around 2:00 PM. The Mendocino Coast CBC was held this day also ... I will post a report in a couple days if nobody else does.

      Monday - January 3, 2005 - Jerry White and I refound the Burrowing Owl at Davis Lake (now drained) which is on State park property between Alder Creek and Kinney Lane (Manchester KOA road). Jerry refound the Prairie Falcon from the Point Arena Lighthouse Road. I had 8 Red Crossbills near the deadend of Albion Ridge Road. The adult Ross's Goose is still at Caspar Pond. This bird appears to be a very mature bird based upon the quantity of protuberances at the base of the mandible. There are still 3 Greater White-fronted Geese at Lake Cleone. There are also four Cackling Geese at Lake Cleone ...which I believe to be Aleutians. Two of them have partial white neck rings and light breasts which the B.c.minima subspecies should not have...and they appear to be a little large for true "Cacklers" (Branta canadensis minima). Two of them have darker breasts and no sign of neck rings at all ...so maybe they are "Cacklers" but I think their size is more fitting to be Aleutians.

      The were at least two first year Thayer's Gulls at the Laguna Point parking lot beach, and a Mature Thayer's on the "loafing rocks" just north of the viewing platform. There were 2 Rock Sandpipers with Surfbirds just south of the viewing platform.

      Oh... the leucistic Black Oystercatcher was seen at Mendocino Headlands directly off the "Sister city Monument". It is rather cream color overall with a darker tan neck and head.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer