Nice/Rodman Slough (LAK) Update

  • jeff hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      02 JAN 05, 8:00 PM

      Happy New Year! It has been for me, so far.

      Yesterday I was birding all day between Nice boat
      docks

      and the West end of Rodman Slough. Bird activity was

      not frenetic, but there was an impressive turnout of

      species during the sunny breaks. Highlights include:

      NORTHERN PINTAIL - 4 still at flooded rice fields
      west side Cut-off south of HWY 20.

      BALD EAGLE - 1 adult, in area near bridge on Cut-off.

      PRAIRIE FALCON - I finally found it, Jerry! Missed it
      12/31, but got it 01/01 at approx 3:15 just south of
      the end of Reclamation Rd.

      ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK - One dark bird coming down from
      the walnut orchard on the plateau above Rodman
      Slough
      Park. Flew toward the fields south of Sentry Mkt.

      COM. MOORHEN - 2, in flooded ditch east of s. end
      Reclamation Rd.

      PHAINOPEPLA - 2, along northside dike 0.8 mi. west of
      Cut-off just n. of the bridge. Look in mistletoe-
      laden trees on west bank of shallow pond north of
      the access trail.

      I did not see either the RING-NECKED DUCKS or the
      HOODED MERGANSERS that had been there in previous
      days, but I suspect they are still in the area. Also,
      there were two VIRGINIA RAILS and three SORAS (at
      least) at the westward bend of the access road south
      of the end of Reclamation, 01/01, around 3:45 PM.

      ***If anyone should want to bird this area with me, or
      just wish to get some info on where the such-and-such
      was seen last, I can usually be reached at 274-1851.
      Happy birding,

      ~ Jeff ~

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250