Lake Co. 12/26/04

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2004
      Today, Jim Rowoth and I decided to bird Lake Co. After perusing all the past emails about birds seen, we planned a route to take us around Clear Lake, up into High Valley, then back down and around the lake. Unfortunately, the rains came! And because of the storm, our visibility of the lake was severely hampered. Thought we didn't get all the expected birds we did pretty well.

      Austin Park: 5 HERRING GULLS, a 2nd winter WESTERN GULL, among the many RB & Cal Gulls. 2 HORNED GREBES were right off shore along the pilings of the old pier.

      Borax Lake: 30 NORTHERN SHOVELERS, many BUFFLEHEADS, GADWALLS, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, 1 AMERICAN PIPIT, Ruddy Ducks, 3 LINCOLN SPARROWS.

      High Valley: 40 Wild Turkeys & 1 Ring-neck Pheasant.

      High Valley Campground: 1 FOX SPARROW, 12 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, 1 BROWN CREEPER.

      Lakeshore Blvd Marsh (west of Hammonds Rd on the north side of the road): 3 HOODED MERGANSERS

      Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Marsh: 4 NORTHERN PINTAILS, lots of Green-winged Teals, 30 AMERICAN WIGEONS, Gadwalls.

      Reclamation Rd: a COMMON SNIPE, 1 WHITE-TAILED KITE (close to the Abatement Ponds)

      Scott Valley Rd pond: 12 Wood Ducks, a pair of Hooded Mergansers, 2 American Wigeons, 1 EURASIAN WIGEON,
      30 Wild Turkeys

      Library Park (Lakeport): 4 MEW GULLS, 2 GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS, 1 SNOW GOOSE (present since 11/13/03)

      Clear Lake State Park: 1 Golden-crowned Kinglet, expected oak woodland birds, plus 30 more Wild Turkeys!

      Good Birding!
      Frances
      Lodi, CA