Lawrence's Goldfinches

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders: This morning I saw 4 (2m, 2f) Lawrence's
      Goldfinches at the Hopland R&E Center. The birds were at about 2800' in
      some oaks adjacent to the chaparral on South Cow Mountain. They were in a
      large flock of finches, primarily Lesser Goldfinches, but also including a
      number of Pine Siskins, and they are probably feeding on chamise
      seeds. This the first confirmed winter record for MEN of which I am
      aware. Anyone with knowledge otherwise, please let me know. This
      afternoon George Chaniot and I refound the Tufted Duck and 2 White-winged
      Scoters which many observers have seen on Lake Mendocino just off the Pomo
      day-use area.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive