Tufted Duck at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 -- From 2:30 to 3:00 this afternoon I had a male TUFTED
      DUCK under observation at Lake Mendocino just off the swimming area at Pomo
      A. It was very close to shore among the scaup and would have been a good
      photo opportunity in the afternoon light. The bird had a prominent crest on
      the back of the crown which was easily visable in all postures. The crest
      did not hang down in a pony-tail however. The head was black with a
      purplish sheen, and the chest was black. The back was a dark,
      unvermiculated, charcoal grey - slightly lighter than the head and chest.
      The sides were gleaming white, and it had a long, white wingstripe. The
      bill was bluish and slightly lighter behind the prominent black nail. I
      think this is a pure Tufted Duck with no need to invoke the H-word. A park
      ranger driving along the beach flushed the ducks further out, but the
      Tufted was easy to refind with the dark back and prominent tuft.
      I also saw a single WHITE-WINGED SCOTER among the scaups. It
      appeared identical to the one we saw on the other side of the lake
      Saturday. The scoter, unlike the scaup, spent most of its time underwater.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2005
        Thu, 31 Mar 2005 -- This morning there was an adult male TUFTED DUCK in the
        north end of Lake Mendocino. It was in the flock of about 200 scaup and
        grebes in the middle of the lake between Pomo C and the Mesa. I did not
        recognize it from the Pomo area, but the light was favorable from the end
        of the mesa, and its black back jumped out. I don't think there has been a
        report from Lake Mendocino since Jan 23. Has it been here all along?

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2010
          Thu, 23 Dec 2010 -- This morning at about 9:00 Jerry White found a male
          TUFTED DUCK at the north end of Lake Mendocino. It was hanging out with
          Greater Scaups near the north boat launch. When I last saw it, it was
          moving up into the inlet with a small group of scaup, and I was able to look
          down on it from one of the pullouts on Route 20. It's a pretty typical male
          but with a few dusky feathers retained in the white sides.
          That's 2010 #310 for Jerry. Does anyone know of a Red-naped Sapsucker?

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Paul and Betty Hawks
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
            Saturday, January 1. This afternoon, about 4:30, I saw a group of 36 ducks
            at the Lake Mendocino outlet. The road to Bushay Campground is now open, so
            the viewing was close up. Thirty-four of the ducks appeared to be Greater
            Scaups. One was a male Ring-necked Duck. And one was a male Tufted Duck!
            It was exciting for me to see the duck at such close range.

            Paul Hawks