Avocet Nest Failure

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      I'm sorry to report that on Sunday, June3 Cheryl and Geoff Heineken and
      I toured the USTP ponds and discovered that, although both AMERICAN
      AVOCETS were present, the nest has disappeared. There was no nest or
      eggs visible although the water level appeared to have dropped since
      Friday. The only explanation I can come up with is the nest was
      predated and in the process destroyed. The adult avocets foraged the
      entire time we were there and gave no indication they were considering
      replacing the nest.

      - Matthew Matthiessen