White-winged Scoters at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2004
      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 -- On the Ukiah Christmas Bird Count two parties
      independently saw WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS on Lake Mendocino. At about 10:00
      Geoff Heineken and I found a young male on the east shore between the Mesa
      and Barn Cove - visible from the Little Bear group campground. There was
      also a male EURASIAN WIGEON here among the 200 American Wigeons feeding
      along this shore.
      About 3:00 Ollie Kolkmann and Vishnu saw two White-winged Scoters
      on the west side of the lake near the Pomo A area. These were apparently
      both first-year males and possibly included the bird seen earlier. The only
      other record of this species on Lake Mendocino that I know of was a pair on
      8 Nov 2001 (Mendobirds message 223).
      The Ukiah CBC drew a beautiful, clear, warm day and set a new
      record of 127 species. I was a very fun and satisfying day to be afield.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26
        Fri, 26 May 2017 -- About 11:15 this morning there were 4 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS on Lake Mendocino off the Pomo A day-use area with a small group of grebes. They were tucked most of the time, but distinguishing characters could be seen : large, dark ducks with small white patch by the eye, orangish bill, obscured white wing patch.

        George Chaniot with Joanne Haller
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA