Clear Lake CBC

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2004
      The local Christmas Bird Count was held yesterday with cool morning temperatures but overall good conditions including sunny skies and little wind. At the count dinner 137 species were tallied (subject to change).

      Highlights included; after a days absence, the Northern Shrike was refound by Cliff Johnson in High Valley near the large white barn. A Red-naped Sapsucker was discovered by Jeanette Knight on Perini Road near the intersection with Seigler Canyon Rd. Red Crossbills were found by two parties in the Cobb Mt. area. A Rock Wren was found by both myself and Bryan McIntosh on the dirt road above the Clearlake Landfill at the end of Davis Ave. in Clearlake. The bird was seen along the rock covered drainage channel a few hundred yards from the gate. Also seen along this road were 3 Rufous-crowned Sparrows and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. No private motorized vehicles are allowed on this road.

      We had a boat out with John Graham and Brad Barnwell and they did some transect work and estimates of the birds on the lake. Between their efforts and additional input from the land based birders we estimate that there was close to 100,000
      fish-eating birds, almost all of these from the Narrows (Buckingham Pt. across to Kono Tayee Pt.) into the two lower arms of the lake. Most of these were Aechmophorus grebes. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2007
        A very successful count was held in Lake County yesterday. Pending some additional documentation that will be turned into Darlene Hecomovich (our count compiler) it appears the final total species number will be 150 plus. This will be the highest number ever for this count.
        Some (not all) of the highlights included; a flock of SNOW GEESE seen by Nikki White, Susanne Scholtz and Marilyn Waits; a TUFTED DUCK found on Borax Lake by Floyd Hayes, a BARROW'S GOLDENEYE I found late in the day, RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS found by Dave Woodward and Floyd Hayes, an OSPREY found by Dave Woodward, a near sweep of the gulls on the existing list missing only Glaucous Gull, 7 species of owls ; highlighted by 2 SHORT-EARED OWLS I found at Anderson Marsh just after 5:00 PM and a calling SPOTTED OWL that Bryan McIntosh and I heard in Boggs State Forest about 9:00 PM . Bryan and I headed up there after the count dinner realizing we were near the 150 species mark.
        Two YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES showed up on count day for Dave Woodward in High Valley. Dave and I over the past few weeks had made multiple scouting trips up there with no success.
        A "WESTERN FLYCATCHER"was found by Sharon Matzinger,a CANYON WREN found by Bryan McIntosh, 2 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS found by Floyd Hayes, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE found by Bryan McIntosh, a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT found by Cliff Johnson, a possible WESTERN TANAGER pending review of details found by one of the birders, a good number of species of sparrows were found, and RED CROSSBILL found by Bryan McIntosh.
        The highlight of the day could turn out to be the "possible" 1st cycle SLATY-BACKED GULL I found in Redbud Park (City of Clearlake) around 12:30 PM. I reached Floyd Hayes by cell phone who was nearby. He and I studied the bird for a fair amount of time before it flew. Floyd took a number of digiscope photos.
        We had the bird in direct comparison to Western, Glaucous-winged, Thayers, Herring and California Gulls.
        Based on size, structure, and plumage it appears to fit Slaty-backed Gull.

        All in all the day turned out to be the "perfect storm" in a positive sense. Jerry White

      • grebeman2
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2008
          On Saturday morning at around 8:00 AM a group of us saw the
          LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park in Clearlake.

          I was not able to attend the count dinner so do not have details of
          what was seen overall on the day. However, birds of local CBC interest
          that Guy Commeau and I saw were; Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Sage Sparrow,
          Tree Swallow, Common Loon, and Eurasian Collared-Dove.
          We also had a teal at Borax Lake the showed some of the characteristics
          of a "Common Teal". Jerry White
        • dhecomovich
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2008
            To follow up on Jerry White's posting, we ended up with an unoffical
            count of 146 species. In addition to those species noted by Jerry, we
            also had 1 each of the following: Northern Goshawk, Ferruginous Hawk,
            Merlin, Lewis' Woodpecker, and Black-throated Gray Warbler.
            Darlene Hecomovich