Hooded Mergansers

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2004
      Thursday - 16 Dec 2004 - This morning on my way back from Ukiah via Talmage
      I stopped by the Beckstoffer Vineyards pond (on the west side of "Old River
      Road" a short ways south of the Calif. Conservation Corps office). There
      were 4-6 Hooded Mergansers on the far SW corner of the pond. The flock of
      9 Cackling Geese that have been around for a while were there also. This
      is a great opportunity to view the true Cackling Goose (Branta canadensis
      minima) as opposed to the Aleutian Canada Goose which is the other small
      Cackling Goose-type that we also commonly find in our county. Don't get
      mixed up with the hybridized Canada/domestic geese that are there on the
      pond also (because of political correctness I will not say my opinion of
      what should be done with these genetic hybrids ... but does goose dinner
      for Xmas give you a clue?)

      Further south on "Old Talmage Road" there is a small farm pond on the west
      side of the road ... almost across from Fern Canyon Road ... and there were
      9 - 10 Hooded Mergansers on this pond. They like to hide in the shadows
      along the far bank. Also, a lone Snowy Egret was there. Good
      birding! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center