Lake County Birds

  • jeff hayes
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2004
      Hello, birders. Have a few sightings to share,
      nothing earthshaking, but rewarding experiences with
      some fun birds. It was nice to be out birding in
      60-degree weather in Dec.

      Tue. 12/14: Went up to High Valley Road campground
      area (roughly 2 miles east off Bartlett Sprs Rd) to
      harvest a holiday tree. Time of day was 2:30-4:45pm.
      Elevations range from 2800-3300 feet, roughly.
      Habitat is ridgetop coniferous forest (mature yellow
      pine and douglas-fir), the glades sloping down to the
      south and west are montane chaparral with some black
      oak, etc. This is above the digger pine belt, in the
      Transition zone.

      Pileated Woodpecker - 1.
      Hermit Thrush - 15+
      Calif. Thrasher - 4 (singing just before sunset)
      Townsend's Warbler - 1 (in mistletoe-laden
      black oak)
      Fox Sparrow - 30+
      -- Only a few RBNH this time.
      - - - - - - - - - - -

      Wed 12/15. Today I was able to bird from the west
      end of Nice lakefront to the mouth of Rodman Slough.
      Coming into Nice on Hwy 20, go right(south) on Hammond
      Ave to Lakeshore Blvd, right again on Lakeshore. At
      the 90-degree right turn there is a barrier, behind
      which lies the old connection to the Nice-Lucerne
      Cutoff. There is room for one car to park lengthwise
      right next to the barrier. Walk in and bird,
      everything on the lakeshore side is open, the other
      side is private.

      Canvasback - 17 (10m, 7f) On the lake near
      mouth of Rodman Slough.

      Ruddy Duck - 420+ in general area.

      Peregrine Falcon - 1 (ad) in active hunting flight
      circled overhead three times,
      waiting for me to get moving
      again, maybe kick up some prey..

      Savannah Sparrow - 9 (at least)

      Lincoln's Sparrow - 3 (at least)

      There are scads of sparrows and Marsh Wrens toward the
      lakeshore, also good raptors (incl Kite), limited lake
      views unless you don't mind wet feet. Good birding!

      -- Jeff Hayes (:>

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • KatBirdCA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hi Birders,

        I did some birding in Lake County today (Sat, 2/4/06), in very cool and windy
        weather.

        At Borax Lake, I searched for the previously reported Tufted Ducks. I did
        not see either of the two reported adult males with full tufts, but I did find
        an adult male bird that I believe may be a Tufted Duck x Scaup hybrid (see
        Sibley, bottom of page 91), . The bird had what I would describe as a crest rather
        than a tuft. The color of the back was intermediate between a Tufted Duck
        and Scaup (the photo does not show this well). I have posted a (blurry) photo
        on the Mendobirds website, of my supposed hybrid adjacent to Lesser & Greater
        Scaup males. Comments/opinions welcome.

        I had a flyover Bald Eagle as I was heading north on Hwy 20 north of
        Clearlake Oaks.

        Also, yesterday (2/3/06), I saw a female Phainopepla at Lakeside County Park
        (off of Soda Bay Rd.). Can any of you locals let me know how rare/common this
        species is at this location at this time of year.

        Good birding,
        Kathy Robertson
        Hayward, CA

      • catowhee
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2009
          I spent today (Monday, January 19, 2009) in Lake County searching for
          three birds that had been noted in earlier posts. At about 9:00 a.m.,
          I found the presumed ICELAND GULL on the pier at Austin Park in
          Clearlake. The bird was conveniently standing next to a 1st-cycle
          GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, allowing for easy comparison. Comparing my
          mental image against the excellent photographs posted by Floyd Hayes,
          I am convinced I found the same bird that he initially reported.

          Next I visited Lakeside County Park in search of the reported
          YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER. Though the day was beautiful and the birds
          abundant, the sapsucker was not cooperative. I suppose the children
          playing frisbee on the ball field and the maintenance guy circling the
          grounds with his tractor/mower might possibly have had something to do
          with it. A trio of WOOD DUCKS on the nearby slough were untypically
          non-skittish, allowing extended viewing. A large flock (perhaps 30 or
          more) of CANADA GEESE were floating off-shore in the lake, with
          perhaps as many as half a dozen CACKLING GEESE in their midst.

          Undaunted by the lack of success, I headed for the mouth of Kelsey
          Creek in Clear Lake State Park in pursuit of the reported SWAMP
          SPARROW. I found the little niche in the reeds that seemed to be a
          smorgasbord for all kinds of ground foragers: a VIRGINIA RAIL, a SORA,
          a FOX SPARROW, two MARSH WRENS (staying unbelievably long periods out
          in the open), a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and at least half a dozen SONG
          SPARROWS were alternating scratching around and dashing for cover. Try
          as I might (and, believe me, I tried hard for over two hours) I was
          unable to turn any of the variously plumaged Song Sparrows into their
          Swamp cousin. In addition to the usual cast of AMERICAN WHITE
          PELICANS, RING-BILLED AND HERRING GULLS, COOTS, AND COMMON MERGANSERS,
          the lake also hosted a small flotilla of SCAUP (I took them to be
          GREATER, but wouldn't bet more than a few cents on it) and a female
          GOLDENEYE (all bets are off on which one).

          Not liking the one in three success rate, I went back to Lakeside
          County Park, spending another fruitless half hour. I decided to make a
          pit stop before starting the three hour drive back home. As I came out
          of the restroom, the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER flew over my head and
          landed in a Eucalyptus tree about fifty feet away. The time was 4:45
          p.m. And, yes, only one other car was in the parking area: a guy
          silently metal detecting the picnic area. No surprise here, but early
          morning or late evening appears best, especially in the areas heavily
          used by other recreationers.

          Happy Birding,

          Mike Stanley
          Grass Valley, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20, 2011
            18 April 2011 -- Sorry for the delay in reporting. On the 16th and 18th I
            did some birding in Lake Co. incidental to the tricolor survey and found the
            following birds of interest to me: TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS at Lyon's Creek,
            Highland Springs Road, and Adobe Creek Reservoir. YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS
            at Lyon's Creek and Adobe Creek. A male HOODED ORIOLE at Paradise Cove on
            Highway 20 visible in palms from near the call box by milemarker 23.00.
            Five GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES and sixteen more male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS at
            Nice in the wetland along Lakeshore Boulevard behind the Sentry Market. One
            male PHAINOPEPLA in Upper Lake in a prominent tree with mistletoe on the
            north side of Hwy 20 (getting closer to Mendocino!).

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • Jerry White
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
              This morning at about 7:05 AM I found a HORNED LARK  in the parking lot at Anderson Marsh State Park  Headquarters (the ranch house) off of Anderson Marsh Parkway near Lower Lake . I watched the bird for nearly 5 minutes, then went for a camera and returned about 15 minutes later but could not refind it.
              Later in the morning at Callayomi Rd off of Butts Canyon Rd I found 2 BURROWING OWLS. There was the continuing bird on a mound along the first drainage channel and then the 2nd bird was on a mound along the second drainage channel across from the residence.   Jerry White
            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2014
                3/1/14 0905

                I birded Scott's Valley Rd. this morning from Blue Lakes to Lakeport and at the 3300 Block nearest Lakeport I saw approximately 300-400  Tri-colored Blackbird. They were in a mixed flock of Brewers and Red-winged Blackbird and Starling. I counted by 10's at least 200 male birds foraging on the ground and moving in flight in two different fields.
                Also on Scott's Valley Rd. were 2 Peregrine Falcon and a Merlin.
                Around 0950 I went to Rodman Slough and found my FOS Northern Rough-winged Swallow (1) and Barn Swallow (1) along with Tree and Violet-green Swallows. Steve Stump

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2014
                  4/21/14 0905

                  This morning at the Rodman Slough pond east of the bridge, Jerry White and I view 2 Whimbrel. Also, there was a Solitary Sandpiper and Eurasian/Green-Winged Teal Intergrade. Steve Stump

                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2014

                    5/4/14 3pm

                    This morning at 7 am there was a single Whimbrel at the Rodman Slough pond. I came back after birding Elk Mtn, Rd. and it was there at 3pm this afternoon. This morning there were Dunlin, peeps and Semipalmated Plover but I did not see them this afternoon. The pond is drying quickly. Steve Stump

                  • stevestump
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2014

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7 9:31 PM

                        7/7/14 1930

                        This evening (7:30 pm) at the Kelsey Creek Outlet in Clear Lake State Park, there were 2 Forster's Tern, 1 American Avocet and about 150 peeps. I was able to identify 25 Western Sandpipers and 5 Least Sandpipers. Also continuing was a solo Purple Martin.

                        Earlier at Borax Lake was 28 Wilson's Phalarope. Steve Stump

                      • stevestump
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 17, 2014

                          10/17/14 8am

                          This morning at Rodman Slough, South of the bridge there remained 10 Marbled Godwit and 8 American Avocets. North of the bridge were 2 Immature White-faced Ibis.

                          Also, at Detert Reservoir in Middletwon (Butts Canyon Rd) this afternoon there was an Eurasian Wigeon with alot of American Wigeon and other ducks. Steve Stump

                        • stevestump
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 12, 2014
                            11/12/14 1615

                            Following the tip from Dave Woodward this morning, I went directly to  Rodman slough to search for Tundra Swans. Immediately upon arrival 8 Tundra Swan flew overhead then flew North of the bridge. Within 5 minutes, three more groups flew over but did not land(maybe because I was on the island) for a total of 55. 42 of them headed East toward Lucerne. Also present was a Snow Goose, Greater White-fronted Goose, 7 Cackling Goose, a White-faced Ibis and a Marbled Godwit. Steve Stump

                          • stevestump
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 28

                              2/28/15 3 pm

                              The Mew Gull found Feb 19th by Jerry White and seen the 26th by Dave Woodward continues at Lucerne Harbor. Also, the Barrow's Goldeneye Dave found on the 26th at mile marker 20.81 continued today but at mile marker 20.11    Steve Stump

                              Mew Gull

                              Barrow's Goldeneye