Lake County Observations

  • jeff hayes by way of chaniot@pacific.ne
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      Jeff Hayes --- Nice, CA

      Hello birders! I recently moved from Sonoma Co to the
      north shore of Clear Lake, and have been enjoying the
      excellent birding this fall. We just got about five
      inches of rain, these fronts should bring some more
      waterfowl in. Here's a few of my recent Lake County
      sightings:

      <Tundra Swan -- 2, 11/29, upper Rodman Slough
      (south of Upper Lake)

      <Virginia Rail -- up to 4 heard calling at dusk
      late Nov thru 12/6, Rodman Sl.

      <White-throated Sparrow -- 1 heard singing in yard,
      several days thru Nov 29, in Nice.

      <Surf Scoter -- 2 (1 ad M, 1 F) 11/30, Clear Lake
      at mouth of Rodman Slough. Drifting along tail end of
      raft of 700+ scaup and some Buffleheads, etc. The
      male's white head spots and bill pattern were visible
      even at some distance. My only sighting so far, check
      lakeshore between Rodman Slough bridge on Nice-Lucerne
      Cutoff and Library Park in Lakeport, search thru the
      rafts of scaup.

      <Ferruginous Hawk -- 1 imm., 12/01, Soda Bay Rd 1
      mi. east of Konocti Vista turnoff. Beautiful bird.
      Look in the wide-open fields between Lakeport and
      Kelseyville, along Soda Bay Rd.

      <Swamp Sparrow-- 1 typical winter plumage adult,
      12/03, Rodman Slough. Bird was with Fox Sparrows in
      large blackberry/willow/alder thicket bordering on
      wet, rank weeds (Marsh Wren, Com Yellowthroat and
      Linclon's Sparrow also present, plus 1 Sharp-shinned
      Hawk...) Location was along dike trail on NW side of
      the Cut-off bridge, about 200 yds from the road. Look
      in the blackberries on your right in the vicinity of
      the little tin shack. Should be a Townsend's or two
      in the mistletoe overhead...

      <Phainopepla -- 1 female, 11/21, Rodman Slough near
      Westlake Rd. In mistletoe.

      <Common Moorhen -- 1 in plumage state between juv
      and basic (winter). Bill was mainly grayish. Found
      in tule marsh, 12/3 and 12/6, Rodman Slough, N of the
      bridge. Heard calling loudly at dusk.

      Happy birding {:>

      ~ Jeff ~