12/3 Ukiah-area birds

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders: I was able to get out and about this beautiful,
      crisp morning and do some birding in Ukiah-area locales. I saw nothing
      worth making any phone calls about, but still had a good morning. At the
      Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant there was a BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a
      first-winter GOLDEN EAGLE. The fellows on the staff tell me that the GOEA
      has been hanging out along the river for several days. Of local interest
      were 3 LEAST SANDPIPERS and a WINTER WREN. At the Mendocino Vineyards pond
      on Old Eastside Road (Talmage) there was a pair (m,f) of HOODED
      MERGANSERS. On the Valley View Trail and North Cow Mountain I saw a
      CALIFORNIA THRASHER, 2 SAGE SPARROWS, and 25+ FOX SPARROWS, including 1
      Thick-billed type. There were also a number of PINE SISKINS eating chamise
      seeds up in the chaparral. I also saw some in the alders along the river-
      seems that we have an influx this year. I stopped to poke around the ponds
      on my way back down Mill Creek Road. I saw 2 VARIED THRUSHES and found a
      couple of nice Boletus aureus. Great way to finish the day!

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482