White-throated Sparrow

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      Friday - 3 Dec 2004 - The first white-throated sparrow for the season
      showed up at Chuck Vaughn's feeding station here at UC-HREC. I believe it
      is a first winter white-striped morph... but will have to get some better
      looks (the crown is rather in-between tan and white). Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • rich_trissel
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2008
        Hello -

        Yesterday, Tuesday, there was an adult White-throated Sparrow
        frequenting the mown lawns near the intersection of Ford and Little
        Lake St in Mendocino. The bird was seen in the late afternoon with a
        small flock of White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows.

        Good Birding,

        Rich Trissel
      • Bob Keiffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
          Saturday - 28 June 2008 - This afternoon I had a White-throated Sparrow feeding out in the open in our chicken pen ...an area frequesnted by Golden-crowned Sparrows and an occasional White-throated Sparrow during their normal wintering season. This fellow seemed to have difficulty flying, which is most probably why he is still here. Other than that it seems quite healthy and very skittish ....run/fluttering to the nearby brush pile in a big hurry. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
            21 October 2008 - The darker rufous coloring in the wings caught my
            eye on a bird in my brush pile located in my chicken pen. Alas, a
            bit of "pishing" resulted in a better look at the first fall arrival
            (in my yard) of a nice adult White-throated Sparrow at my home in
            Hopland. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            4070 University Road
            Hopland, CA 95449
            (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

            arena." Theodore Roosevelt

          • Becky Stenberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2008
              I have a wts here in Glen Blair also. Glad I read the digest and
              looked it up so I could quit being baffled by the odd-looking
              White-crowned Sparrow with the Song Sparrowish face! So I guess I
              shouldn't pay so much attention to the range maps? ;oP

              Becky Stenberg
              Glen Blair
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2011
                Mon Oct 3, 2011-- Has my first Fall/Winter WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at my feeders today at 2:15PM.

                Richard Hubacek
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
                  This morning a White-throated Sparrow showed up at my feeders. This is the 1st one in a long time for me. I hope it sticks around. I have been hearing of high numbers of them south of us at peoples' feeders this year.

                  Dave Bengston
                  Ukiah
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 18, 2012
                    I had my first of winter White-throated Sparrow at my feeder today. A very bright adult with 2 yellow headlights.

                    Dave Bengston
                    Ukiah