Laysan Albatross

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
      Wednesday - 1 Dec. 2004 - Grace Steurer reports that "AL" the Laysan
      Albatross was at the Point Arena Cove at 1:00 PM today. The bird first
      showed up on Nov 28th. this is the bird's eleventh consecutive winter
      season of using the cove as a resting/loafing spot.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
        30-November-2005 - Grace Steuer reported to me that a surfer told her that "Al", the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove during the last dozen winters, returned several days ago. Grace personally saw the bird today to confirm. I repeat this every year, but Point Arena Cove from now through probably Late February provides THE BEST CHANCE of seeing a Laysan Albatross with your feet planted on firm ground (not in a boat on a pelagic trip) of anywhere in the 48 states or probably North America.

        In past winters, based upon reports and personal experience, one has about a 50% chance of seeing it in the cove on any day. Arrival and loafing time for the bird in the cove varies ...sometimes being there first thing in the morning, other times arriving in the morning, mid-day, or late afternoon. If you plan on viewing this bird plan on walking out on the dock several times during the day to increase your chances of seeing it. Some days it apparently does NOT come into the cove.

        Good Luck, Bob Keiffer

      • Bob Keiffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
          Friday, December 29, 2005 - "Al" the Laysan Albatross arrived at the Point Arena Cove around 4:00 PM after having not been there for three days (checked routinely by Brian and Karen Fitch (spelling?) from the Bay Area). "Al" cooperated by eventually flying near to the dock to settle in for the night.

          Brian told me that one or possibly two Glaucous Gulls (2 year birds) were at the cove earlier that day.

          There were numerous Eared Grebes and a few Horned Grebes in the cove also.

          I'm sure that I don't have to warn folks...but don't plan a trip to Point Arena until this strom event has passed....you may get locked in there due to flooding.

          Good wet birding! Bob Keiffer

        • Jeff Price
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
            Is the Laysan Albatross still being seen in Point Arena? I tried a few times last year without success and would like to try again in early February.

            Also, are any Rock Sandpipers wintering in the area? I know they are likely at the jetty in Arcata but would rather not go that far north if I don't have to.

            Thanks!

            Jeff Price
            jtpbirder@...
            Paradise, CA

          • Bob Keiffer
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
              Wed/Thurs 5/6 April 2006 Grace Steurer reported to me that "AL" the Laysan Albatross was at Point Arena Cove on both of these days in the late afternoon. This is the first time to our documetned knowledge that "AL" has continued using the cove into the month of April before annual departure (to Midway perhaps?).
              Good Birding - Bob Keiffer