Short-eared and burrowing Owls

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004
      I did not notice that Dave Jensen's message (to me) from last week was not
      a Mendobirds notice. The following quote is from Dave from last Tuesday
      - November 23rd, 2004. Apparently the Long-eared Owl was still around
      the Blad Hill Rd. near Fort Bragg. I would like to mention the
      Short-eared Owls are NOT, I repeat, NOT very easy to add to one's Mendocino
      County list. They are few and far between and usually do not hang around
      for very long. Also notice that the Eurasian Collared-Doves are still
      around Duxbury Lane at Manchester State Beach. Here is Dave's report from
      last week:

      Tuesday - 23 Nov. 2004 -"I was in Pt. Arena yesterday (Tuesday) and did not
      see the albatross. However, it was very windy, at low tide, with a lot of
      surfing activity, so who can say? The
      afternoon's list for the area from Navarro River to Pt. Arena included: 3
      Peregrine Falcon, 6 Ferruginous Hawks, about 5 Eurasian Collared Doves on
      Duxbury Drive/Road/Lane, 1 Brant, 1 Bobcat and 1 Coyote.
      Tundra Swans were feeding north of Biaggi Ranch, with only 6-12 in the
      Garcia Flats at midday. Today there was 1 Osprey, 1 Brant and 2 Red-necked
      Grebes at the mouth of Ten Mile River. Also, the Burrowing Owl and a
      Short-eared Owl are still regularly seen on Bald Hill Road."

      good birding ... Bob Keiffer. Also... it looks like the Mendo Coast CBC
      date is going to be changed to Jan 2nd instead of Dec 26. I will make
      sure that the decided upon date is posted on Mendobirds.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road