Rough-legged Hawk/Lake County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2004
      Yesterday morning I found an immature Rough-legged Hawk on Reclamation Rd off Highway 20 between Upper Lake and Nice. The bird was seen on a power pole near the Abatement Ponds before it flew off.
      This is the 10th county record (only the 2nd one I have seen in the county) and the 1st record since 1991.

      Additional searching by Dave Woodward and I did not turn up the bird. Dave did find a Tundra Swan (on private land) which I also saw.

      There is also a Mute Swan at Rodman Slough which Dave first found on Tuesday. This is the first time I have seen this species in the wild in Lake County. Jerry