Fall Period reports due soon

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2004
      The fall period for reporting bird sightings is soon coming to an
      end. The fall period, the longest of the year, covers the months of
      August, September, October, November.
      If you have any bird sightings to report that have not previously been
      reported on Mendobirds please send them to me prior to December
      10th. However any reports received sooner would be appreciated as the
      fall report usually has an enormous amount of data for me to edit as I
      compile the fall report for North American Birds - Middle Pacific Coast
      Region editors. You can send reports or single observations to me at
      rjkeiffer@....

      If anyone ventures to the Point Arena area please keep an eye out for "AL"
      the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove for the last ten
      winters. He/she usually shows up the last week of November/first week of
      December, using the cove as a resting/loafing area until early
      March. Please post any "AL" sightings on Mendobirds as there are numerous
      out of town and out-of-state birders interested in seeing this bird. This
      is probably the only place in North America where one can have a good
      chance of seeing this species while keep your feet on solid ground (not in
      a boat).

      15 November 2004 - there was a late Osprey at the Highway 175 Russian River
      bridge at Hopland. It seems in recent years that we have had a resident
      osprey or two that reside year-round along the Russian River from Lake
      Mendocino to Hopland.

      Thanks and keep your binoculars dry! Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road