Laguna Point, 12 Nov

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2004
      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 -- Chuck Vaughn and I drove to Laguna Point this morning
      for the spring tide (+6.6') and, along with Dorothy Tobkin, we scoped out
      to sea for about two hours with fine viewing conditions. We found two ROCK
      SANDPIPERS among the Surfbirds on the rocks. Toby saw them as early as 25
      Oct this year (see below). Good numbers of Surf Scoters and Pacific Loons
      were moving south past the point. Toby says the movement is just picking
      up. A twenty minute count yielded an estimate of 484 Pacific Loons per
      hour. We saw several WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS among the Surfs, and had fly-bys
      of ANCIENT MURRELET, CASSIN'S AUKLET, and RHINOCEROS AUKLET.
      Later we saw every Mendocino goose species except Emperor,
      including a BRANT close off the Laguna Point parking lot, a SNOW GOOSE,
      three CACKLING GEESE, and three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE at Lake Cleone,
      and a ROSS'S GOOSE at Caspar Pond. We searched the Mendocino Headlands for
      longspurs but found only one HORNED LARK, but there were a lot of people
      walking around the headlands at noon.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      From the Northern California Birdbox:

      On Oct 25, at high tide, a ROCK SANDPIPER was at Glass Beach, on the
      main beach. (2) ROCK SANDPIPERS were roosting on a rock half-way
      along the boardwalk at Laguna Point at MacKerricher State Park.
      (15) HARLEQUIN DUCKS, 12 males and 3 females, were at the first cove
      south of Glass Beach, reached by going a short distance along the
      chain-link fence, which borders the mill site. (Dorothy Tobkin).