marsh wren nest, ferruginous hawk, birding symposium

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2004
      Hi All.

      I saw a marsh wren nest the other day with someone moving around inside. (They are spherical so you can't see inside). It was about 3 pm. I stayed and watched for a half hour or so. The only bird activity I saw in the rushes was a ruby-crowned kinglet, but I had heard a marsh wren as I approached. Does anyone know if marsh wrens are likely to use nests after breeding season for warmth or hiding, or if other birds or animals might use them?

      And, my friend Sheryl Greene saw a ferruginous hawk along the "old Reynolds Hwy" (I hope I'm getting that right) north of Willits yesterday. She said it's been there every winter for about 5 years. Pass the Hearst/Willits road and look on the right near the top of a big leafless oak tree.

      Who else is going to the Central Valley Birding Symposium besides David Jensen, Gordon Stearns, and me?

      Kate