Chestnut-collared Longspur

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
      Fri, 05 Nov 2004 -- Today at about 10:00 Dorothy Tobkin found a
      CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR at the Mendocino Headlands near the Sister City
      monument. It was a very drab individual and hung around two HORNED LARKS.
      At Casper Pond there was an adult ROSS'S GOOSE, and at Van Damme SP
      she heard her first VARIED THRUSH of the fall and saw two PILEATED
      WOODPECKERS in the upper campground.
    • Janet Stein
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
        I observed the Chestnut-collared Longspur with 5 Horned Larks near the Sister Monument at the Mendocino Headlands yesterday (Nov. 9) around 8:30 a.m. As first reported by Toby, it is a rather drab individual but every so often the wind would ruffle the nape feathers and you could see the chestnut coloration.

        Janet Stein

      • richhubie
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
          Tue Nov 10, 2009--Karen Havlena and I found the CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR reported by Toby at approx. 3:45PM. It wasn't easy. We found it in the long grass field just south/east of the monument by walking thru it. It flew to about 50-60 feet south of the monument and we lost it when it jumped off the bluff into the grassy area just below the bluff. Got some pictures and if they're any good will post.

          Richard Hubacek
          Little River