Lake and Mendo 10/23

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2004
      Hello all,
      On Saturday, 10/23 I headed through Lake County in hopes of getting my county
      list to 200 and then continued west to check out the action at the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant.
      Pardon a lack of directions as I don't have a map with me. Let me know if you
      need something more specific.
      Along Butts Canyon Rd. in southern Lake Co. were all of the typical open oak
      woodland species as well as a flock of 60 Tree Swallows. At the reservoir were
      15 American White Pelicans and numberous ducks, but nothing special. On the
      way back to Hwy 29 I found a Merlin (#199) north of the road near a white
      church.
      At the sewage ponds just north of here in Hidden Valley I managed to climb a
      hill and look down into the ponds. If you drive all the way past the ponds you
      can park and walk up amongst the chamise. I don't know how kosher this is but
      there are no signs and no fence. Anyway, there is currently great habitat
      even if there weren't any rarities. Birds included 6 Long-billed Dowitchers, 15
      Dunlin, 8 Least Sandpipers, 8 Greater Yellowlegs, many puddle ducks and a
      couple of unidenified scaup.
      Next was the mouth of Kelsey Creek in Clear Lake State Park. Here were 300
      +/- Tree Swallows, 175 American White Pelicans, 4 Long-billed Dowitchers, 5
      snipe, 2 Least Sandpipers and two Virginia Rails.
      A Peregrine Falcon (#200) was along Reclamation Rd. north of Nice.
      Next stop was the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant. We strategically arrived just
      as it was starting to rain. Sign in at the office before birding. Here I
      found quite a few new county birds including a Cooper's Hawk, 2 Pectoral
      Sandpipers, 30 Dunlin, and many ducks, including at least one Blue-winged Teal,
      Cinnamon Teal, Pintail, N. Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, American Wigeon,
      Bufflehead, Ring-necked Duck and 10 Scaup sp. I was unable to id the scaup or
      find the Eurasian Wigeon found by Chuck the day before as the ducks flushed and
      simply decided to fly around in circles until I left. No matter how long it
      took. Finally the rain got so heavy that I gave up and sloshed back to the car,
      pretty much soaked through despite a rain coat. When I got back to the car
      Misty had an interesting look on her face that was a combination of pity and
      amusement. Mostly amusement. But what the heck, I got 5 new county birds.
      Good birding,
      Steve