Coast Report: Clay-colored Sparrow and owls

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2004
      Wednesday, October 20, 2004. Toby found a Clay-colored Sparrow at Bald Hill today, near the southern gate that leads to the towers. I found the bird again this evening with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows. I also spotted a Burrowing Owl a little further north, directly east of the roped gate with the cattle guard. It was sitting at the mouth of a burrow nearly half way up the closest rise. A Peregrine was feeding in the general area, as well. At sunset I stopped at Glass Beach and found a Short-eared Owl hunting in the fields from the Glass Beach path north to Pudding Creek. Great views, some directly overhead, for as long as I could stay.