Re: [Mendobirds] Golden Eagles

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
      Last weekend at the Big Sit at the Mesa Day-Use Area at Lake
      Mendocino we were treated to great views of Golden Eagles. Two adults and
      an immature made dozens of close passes above and below our vantage point,
      including a steep dive on a Beechy Ground-Squirrel - unsucessful. They were
      active from about 11:30 to 4:30 - easily the Bird of The Day for me. I
      think Matthew got some great photos. The campground is now closed to
      camping until April, but it is open to walk-in activities like birding.
      This is about 6 miles from David's place as the eagle flies - could this be
      the same party of three?

      At 11:19 2004 10 13, Feather Forestwalker wrote:
      >I am still in awe of these beautiful birds - indeed, they are my favorite of
      >all birds. . .Aquila chrysaetos. . .:)

      I like the scientific name too. It translates to "Eagle.....Golden
      Eagle", sort of like "Bond.....James Bond".

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Janet Rosen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
        chaniot@... wrote:

        > Last weekend at the Big Sit at the Mesa Day-Use Area at Lake
        > Mendocino we were treated to great views of Golden Eagles. (SNIP)
        > This is about 6 miles from David's place as the eagle flies - could
        > this be...

        and also probably same ones I watched w/ Geoff and Cheryl flying high
        up above their place up in Fern Cyn this past Sunday; one adult and one
        immature.
        They are SO beautiful.

        =====
        Janet Rosen