Golden Eagles

  • dsmithferri
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
      Tuesday, October 12th. For the second time in three days, we saw
      golden eagles fly through our backyard on Mill Creek Road (a mile
      east of Ukiah) and then circle above the hills east and north of the
      road. On both occasions, the birds came through in the late
      afternoon, around 4 pm. And both times, a bird came through so low
      that it was not only easily recognizable to the naked eye as an
      eagle, but so majestic it left me trembling. Today I watched three
      birds for a full half hour -- mostly easy, effortless circling above
      the hills, though at one point one of the birds chased off another.
      This same bird also wasn't always content with mere circling. It
      soared high on currents, folded its wings, and dove, then bottomed
      out and swooped upwards. Very impressive! It did this several times.

      With hot weather in the forecast for Wednesday, we should have good
      thermals again.

      Happy birding to all.

      David Smith-Ferri
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
        Aren't they majestic in flight? When I lived in northern Nevada, I saw them
        with a lot of frequency. At the Washoe Valley Wildlife Infirmary, we took
        care of a couple during my stint as a volunteer there for a short time in
        early 1981.

        I am still in awe of these beautiful birds - indeed, they are my favorite of
        all birds. . .Aquila chrysaetos. . .:)

        Thanks for sharing your sightings,

        Feather

        > Tuesday, October 12th. For the second time in three days, we saw
        > golden eagles fly through our backyard on Mill Creek Road (a mile
        > east of Ukiah) and then circle above the hills east and north of the
        > road. On both occasions, the birds came through in the late
        > afternoon, around 4 pm. And both times, a bird came through so low
        > that it was not only easily recognizable to the naked eye as an
        > eagle, but so majestic it left me trembling. Today I watched three
        > birds for a full half hour -- mostly easy, effortless circling above
        > the hills, though at one point one of the birds chased off another.
        > This same bird also wasn't always content with mere circling. It
        > soared high on currents, folded its wings, and dove, then bottomed
        > out and swooped upwards. Very impressive! It did this several times.
        >
        > With hot weather in the forecast for Wednesday, we should have good
        > thermals again.
        >
        > Happy birding to all.
        >
        > David Smith-Ferri

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
          Last weekend at the Big Sit at the Mesa Day-Use Area at Lake
          Mendocino we were treated to great views of Golden Eagles. Two adults and
          an immature made dozens of close passes above and below our vantage point,
          including a steep dive on a Beechy Ground-Squirrel - unsucessful. They were
          active from about 11:30 to 4:30 - easily the Bird of The Day for me. I
          think Matthew got some great photos. The campground is now closed to
          camping until April, but it is open to walk-in activities like birding.
          This is about 6 miles from David's place as the eagle flies - could this be
          the same party of three?

          At 11:19 2004 10 13, Feather Forestwalker wrote:
          >I am still in awe of these beautiful birds - indeed, they are my favorite of
          >all birds. . .Aquila chrysaetos. . .:)

          I like the scientific name too. It translates to "Eagle.....Golden
          Eagle", sort of like "Bond.....James Bond".

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Janet Rosen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
            chaniot@... wrote:

            > Last weekend at the Big Sit at the Mesa Day-Use Area at Lake
            > Mendocino we were treated to great views of Golden Eagles. (SNIP)
            > This is about 6 miles from David's place as the eagle flies - could
            > this be...

            and also probably same ones I watched w/ Geoff and Cheryl flying high
            up above their place up in Fern Cyn this past Sunday; one adult and one
            immature.
            They are SO beautiful.

            =====
            Janet Rosen