Migrating (?) W-T Kites

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
      Thursday, October 7, 2004. As the heavy fog began to lift around noon, I counted at least 24 White-tailed Kites in the cattle fields along a quarter-mile stretch of Highway 1 between Ten Mile River and Pacific Star Winery, south of Westport. Previously, I have never seen more than three in the expanded area along this section of coastline.

    • Rusty Scalf
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
        With periodic spikes in the population of California Vole (Microtus
        californicus) on the coast, very large numbers of WT Kites can show up.
        I have seen 70+ birds in a single roost at Pt Reyes, with 100+ in that
        general area. No idea what the periodicity might be of the vole
        eruptions, or even if we're having one this year.

        There has been a very large winter roost of WT Kites in Davis in recent
        years which I am told is stable year after year. So perhaps that
        concentration is due to all the good forage habitat around Davis.

        Rusty Scalf
        Berkeley, CA

        http://messenger.yahoo.com