Lapland Longspur & Palm Warbler

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2004
      Thursday - October 7, 2004 - Today I birded Miner Hole Road and the Garcia River, followed by a quick visit to Mendocino headlands. The highlights included a Palm Warbler which was on the north side of the Garcia River about 1/8 mile downstream from the "end-of-the-road" parking area. I only saw a handful of Yellow-rumped Warblers and one Orange-crowned Warbler all day! The island at the mouth of the river has some interesting salt marsh habitat ... complete with pickle weed ... but I could turn up nothing unusual.
      Lots of seaweed and jellyfish had washed into the river channel.

      There were the usual shorebirds including: (not in Phylo. order)

      50 Least Sandpiper
      5 Western Sanpiper
      100 Sanderlings
      20 Black-bellied Plover
      25 Dunlin
      35 Black turnstone
      10 Killdeer

      Other species included:

      50 Common Merganser
      4 Mallard
      4 Greater Scaup
      30 American Wigeon
      3 Green-winged Teal
      3 Northern Pintail
      1 Snowy Egret
      12 Great Egret
      2 GB Heron
      2 Belted Kingfisher
      1 Red-shouldered hawk
      2 Northern harrier
      3 Am. Kestrel
      2 Redtailed hawk
      2 White-tailed Kite

      Ruby-crowned Kinglets, White and Golden-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, Fox Sparrows, Wrentit, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Say's Phoebe, Black Phoebe

      At Mendocino Headlands just east and south of the Sister-City Monument there were numerous Savannah Sparrows ( call note a high-pitched "seep" and short light brown tail) and one Lapland Longspur (call note a "buzzy" note and white is evident on the outer ends of the tail). The longspur was very "spooky" not letting me approach any more than about 25 feet but I did manage to get a couple of good looks at it.

      Good birding - Bob Keiffer