Summer Tanager

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Saturday - 2 October 2004 - Ollie Kolkmann reported to me that somebody pciked up a broken-winged bird in Recreation Grove in willits yesterday. REcreation Grove is on Commercial Street across from the County Museum. The bird was taken to Kathy Ortiz who rehabilitates critters. The bird was identified as a male Summer Tanager ... but the survival of the bird looks dismal. Without looking at the county records I believe this is the third Mendocino County record ... the other two are from the coast. Bob Keiffer

    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27 3:42 PM
        Thu Aug 27, 2009--In all the commotion with the Hudsonian Godwits yesterday I didn't get a chance to post that the Summer Tanager (full adult) was still at Lake Cleone. I saw it at 12 noon. It was foraging further up the trail in the pines but did return to the clearing. No sign of the second Tanager reported several days ago. Also had a Peregrine Falcon pass over the west end of the lake going north.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River
      • Lisa Walker (Feather)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27 3:59 PM
          I saw the Summer Tanager adult male this afternoon in the spot where the yellowjackets are today and made some attempts at photos. He made his appearance around 1:43 PM. No sign of the immature, either.

          Feather

          PS. Will post photos of the Summer Tanager (which won't be very good, I'm afraid), later.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27 4:25 PM
            Sadly only one photo turned out. But he's got a bug in his beak in the shot. It's posted at the group's website

            From: richhubie <richhubie@yahoo. com>

            To: Mendobirds@yahoogro ups.com

            Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 3:42 PM

            Thu Aug 27, 2009--In all the commotion with the Hudsonian Godwits yesterday I didn't get a chance to post that the Summer Tanager (full adult) was still at Lake Cleone. I saw it at 12 noon. It was foraging further up the trail in the pines but did return to the clearing. No sign of the second Tanager reported several days ago. Also had a Peregrine Falcon pass over the west end of the lake going north.

            Richard Hubacek

            Little River

          • grebeman2
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2010
              I found an Adult Male SUMMER TANAGER at the Botanical Gardens in Ft. Bragg about 1:30 PM. today. The bird was at the west end of the Cypress windbreak,the row of trees that is along the south side of the property.
              A number of other birders have seen the bird and it has usually been found right behind the bathrooms. Jerry White